History of Ellerbe, North Carolina
One of the best archaeological records of the movement of a people in the southeast is that of the Pee Dee culture. It moved into the upper Pee Dee River valley with household and baggage forcing the Uwharrie descendants into the hills of the Piedmont. They established large villages and cultivated large fields. They were mature agriculturalists. Yet, they never crossed the narrows of the Yadkin and after less than five generations of warfare, they left the region to return to the coast. They contributed nothing in the indigenous cultures except strife and received the same in return. Their period of success is stratigraphically sealed between the deposits of the dispossessed Uwharrie people and those of the historic Siouan tribes who finally forced their withdrawal. (Dr. Joffre Coe, 1953)
Mr. T. C. Leak purchased the land containing the mineral springs from Colonel Ellerbe. Later his son, Tom C. Leak, built a 30-
Although a one-
It is reported that in 1939 more than 4800 visitors came. In 1967-
In 2007 the Rankin Museum of American Heritage celebrated its 20th anniversary. Founded by a gift of a core collection by Dr. and Mrs. P. R. Rankin, the museum now displays fossils, Native American artifacts from North and South America, artifacts related to local, state, and southern history, antique pottery and tools, Civil War memorabilia, and animal mounts from North America, Central America, and Africa. Of special interest is a turpentine distillery from 1880 that was operated in Richmond County. One of the largest known collections of Native American artifacts from the Southeast is also on display. The museum is open six days weekly. Groups may call for reservations.
inside Kemp Memorial Library Opened in 1978, the Kemp Memorial Library was started with a gift to the town by J. T. and Arina Sugg in memory of their daughter, Mary Kemp Hopke, and is a part of the Sandhills Regional Library System. It offers computer access, has a large genealogy section, and provides best sellers as well as use of interlibrary loan. It has a large collection of children's books and references. The library also provides a meeting room for community use and has an active "Friends of the Library" group.